Saturday, May 24, 2014

Live Free or Die Hard

So after work I was driving home, and I decided to call my dad to see what was going on this evening. We chatted about work and social circles. What came up shocked me. My dad is a CEO of a business and one of his workers died. Gary died. 

Now those of you who may own businesses or work at places that you don't care who you work with its just a job, right? Well, with my dad's business all the employees matter. Each and everyone of them is valued. Heck, they are family.


I knew Gary, maybe not as well as most, but he was a jolly soul. Literally. He was one of the greatest guys to be around when you were having a bad day. He always cracked cheesy jokes. He always said, "I love my job." Whether in sarcasm or seriousness, we will never know, but it was his attitude toward it.


So the last and probably best story I have with Gary is this.


One day, a few summers back, I had been working out on a job with Gary and Roger. I was tearing off roofing and they were laying new shingles. I had been holding myself because I really, really had to use the bathroom. I held it, however, and it kept getting worse and worse. Finally, I was clambering up the side of the roof and it was like all hell rained down in my underpants. 


I was like "uh-oh" and so I ran down the roof wheeled my legs to go faster down the latter, and then told the guys I had to leave to go to Casey's Gas Station. So as quickly as possible I drove to Casey's where I took care of my "needs".


Upon my return Gary and Roger looked at me as I grinned in total embarrassment. I told them, "I...uh...crapped my pants." Gary and Roger doubled over with laughter. For a good five minutes we all laughed.


It is a good memory. Anyway, Gary was a man that lived freely, and his death was hard to take. Upon finding out I cried on the rest of the drive home. I'll miss you, Gary. 


Friends are the greatest treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment